Admitted to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
African Cultural Alliance of North America Inc.
Chief Staff Attorney (January 2012-present)
- Head the legal department and serve as chief legal counsel at ACANA, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization that assists African and Caribbean immigrants in their resettlement and adjustment in the United States.
- Areas of practice include immigration law, criminal defense, family law and small business consultation.
- Represent individuals facing removal (deportation), dual criminal/immigration matters, asylum applicants, as well as individuals filing family based petitions,
- Also handle P visas for international artists, dancers and musicians
- Contributor to the arts and culture, grants and community development departments
Law Office of ChiomaAzi, LLC
Solo Practitioner (June 2009-December 2012)
- Areas of focus included small business development, arbitration, immigration, and criminal defense and civil litigation
- Served as counsel for the Phoenix PR Firm located in Philadelphia, PA reviewing contracts and providing business and litigation advice for the firm
Law Office of Thomas Massucci
New York, NY
Volunteer Immigration Attorney (June 2009-June 2010)
- Volunteered with boutique immigration firm specializing in asylum and removal defense.
- Performed master calendar in New York and Philadelphia for immigrants seeking asylum based on family planning, religious persecution and political opinion
- Drafted memos, researched laws governing asylum and removal, cancellation of removal and the Convention Against Torture treaty
EDUCATION & TRAINING
International Institute of Humanitarian Law (September 28- October 2, 2009)
San Remo, Italy
- Obtained a Certificate in Migration law from the Attended the 5th Annual International Migration Law Course organized by the International Organization for Migration and the International Institute of Humanitarian Law
- Completed course work on a range of areas within European Union and International Migration Law, including International Humanitarian Law, International Labor Law, International Maritime Law and International Refugee Law
Duquesne University School of Law
- Juris Doctorate degree awarded June 2008
University of Pittsburgh (2000-2004)
- Bachelors of Science degree in Psychology, magna cum laude awarded April 2004
- Minor in French, Certificate in Global Studies
- Chief Executive Officer & Founder of the Philly Nigerian Professionals June 2011-present- a networking and professional development organization that hosts and promotes social, charitable and cultural events for African professionals in the Greater Philadelphia area.
- Member of the Mayor’s Task Force on Paid Sick Leave-June 2014-December 2014-Appointed by Mayor Michael Nutter, worked alongside 2 co-chairs, 13 other task force members and 5 staff to review the economic, public health and business implications of mandating paid sick leave for individuals working in the city of Philadelphia.
- Secretary of Friends of UNIFAT Inc. (the Upper Nile Institute for Appropriate Technology, a school located in Northern Uganda)-December 2008-2014 a Philadelphia-based non-profit organization that supports UNIFAT School located in Gulu, Northern Uganda
- Recipient of the 2015 Exemplary Service Award from the Nigerian Lawyers Association
- Proficient in French (reading, written, spoken)
- Beginners level in Acoli Luo (spoken only)