African Communities Together
National Legal Director ( 2021-2024)
- Provide oversight, guidance and training for legal departments for the New York & Washington D.C. offices
- Strategize and coordinate national immigration litigation
- Develop partnerships with key stakeholders that enhance the organization’s advocacy, direct legal service and national African community coalition building goals
- Collaborate on grant and project proposals and interface with public & private funders and grantors
Able Mind & Body Home Care
Elkins Park, PA
Compliance Manager (2019-2021)
- Draft and review draft company policies and training procedures
- Lead employee training, audit preparation & response and state agency engagement
- Assist in human resource functions including employee record checks and maintenance, unemployment compensation and licensure and insurance renewal
Law Office of Chioma Azi
Managing Attorney ( 2009-current)
- Specialties: small business development, human resources, immigration, and criminal defense
- Immigration: Family based matters, permanent residence, naturalization, work authorization, asylum, Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) petitions & victims of crime or human trafficking
African Cultural Alliance of North America Inc.
Chief Staff Attorney ( 2012-2020)
- Founder of the legal department and served as chief legal counsel of ACANA, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization that assists African and Caribbean immigrants in their resettlement and adjustment in the United States.
- Represented or assisted more than 120 individuals in matters covering immigration law, criminal defense, family law and small business consultation.
- 57% winning case record for removal (deportation) cases
- Processed P-1 visas for international artists, dancers and musicians
- Assisted with grant writing, drafting of project proposals and grant implementation
- Led community advocacy and direct engagement with a variety of public, private and non-profit sector organizations
Law Office of Thomas Massucci
New York, NY
Volunteer Immigration Attorney (2009- 2010)
- Volunteered with boutique immigration firm specializing in asylum and removal defense.
- Performed master calendar in New York and Philadelphia for immigrants seeking asylum based on family planning, religious persecution and political opinion
- Drafted memos, researched laws governing asylum and removal, cancellation of removal and the Convention Against Torture treaty
Maximus Federal Services
Appeals Officer (2008- 2009)
- Appeals Officer for Maximus Federal Services, a federal contractor working with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), a division of the Federal Department of Health and Human Services,
- Reviewed previously denied claims filed with Medicare & Drafted decisions on claims
- Researched regulations, laws and policy governing Medicare contained within the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and other federal medical policy sources.
M Davis & Company
Research Assistant (2004- 2005)
- Assisted on a collaborative mental health and housing study involving the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Philadelphia office of Mental Health and the University of Pennsylvania.
- Interviewed study participants, performed data entry, made phone calls and other administrative duties.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
International Institute of Humanitarian Law (September 28- October 2, 2009)
San Remo, Italy
- Obtained a Certificate in Migration law from the Attended the 5th Annual International Migration Law Course organized by the International Organization for Migration and the International Institute of Humanitarian Law
- Completed course work on a range of areas within European Union and International Migration Law, including International Humanitarian Law, International Labor Law, International Maritime Law and International Refugee Law
Duquesne University School of Law
- Juris Doctorate degree awarded June 2008
- Awarded a full academic scholarship by Duquesne University
- Awarded the James W. Stoudt Memorial Scholarship, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Association in 2007
- Awarded the Oliver L. Johnson Scholarship, sponsored by the Homer S. Brown Law Association of Pittsburgh in 2007
- Secretary of the Black Law Students Association, 2006-2008
University of Pittsburgh
- Bachelors of Science degree in Psychology, magna cum laude awarded April 2004
- Minor in French, Certificate in Global Studies
- Member of the Golden Key National Honor Society, Inducted November 2002
- Studied abroad in Nantes, France, September 2002- December 2002
- Secretary, African Students Organization, 2003-2004
- Member of the Pennsylvania Commission on African-American Affairs-April 2021-present-Appointed by Governor Tom Wolf, re-appointed by Governor Josh Shapiro commission comprised of 20 professionals from around the state, advises the governor on policies, procedures, legislation, and regulations relevant to African-Americans in Pennsylvania. GACAAA also works to expand and enhance the civic, social, educational, cultural, and economic status of the African American Community.
- Executive Director of the Norah Anena Foundation-2015-present-a non-profit organization that promotes cultural restoration and provides access to tuition assistance, skills development for underprivileged youths in Northern Uganda
- Member of the Mayor’s Task Force on Paid Sick Leave-June 2014-December 2014-Appointed by Mayor Michael Nutter, worked alongside 2 co-chairs, 13 other task force members and 5 staff to review the economic, public health and business implications of mandating paid sick leave for individuals working in the city of Philadelphia.
- Chief Executive Officer & Founder of the Philly Nigerian Professionals-June 2011-present– a networking and professional development organization that hosts and promotes social, charitable and cultural events for African professionals in the Greater Philadelphia area.
- Treasurer of Friends of UNIFAT Inc. (the Upper Nile Institute for Appropriate Technology)-2013-present-a Philadelphia-based 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization that supports UNIFAT Primary School located in Gulu, Uganda
- Admitted to practice law in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Attorney ID 209346)
- Recipient of the 2015 Exemplary Service Award from the Nigerian Lawyers Association
- Proficient in French (reading, written, spoken)
- Beginners level in Acoli Luo (spoken only)